Thursday, November 10, 2016

Man What A Week!?!?

  I will have to admit I have had better weeks than this last one. What started as a shocker with the news of Supt. Hofmeister being charged with felony campaign allegations, the resignation of Ryan Owens as executive director at CCOSA for his connection, the small group of Education Candidates to win, and the sound defeat of State Question 779. Not necessarily what I had in mind for this election year.

  It seems that in the aftermath two camps, as expected, have developed. The first camp is this was the last straw. Those that will more than likely quickly exit and look for jobs outside of education or actually move to one of the other 49 states that pay more than Oklahoma. The second camp will be those that will try to find positives and move on to the next step. Look to the legislative season and hope for progress. Try to forge new relationships and keep on plugging.

  I don't guess it matters too much which camp I fall under. To say I haven't thought about moving would be a lie. I have family that lives in the North Texas area. Here is my kicker tho, I consider myself to be a leader. Most superintendent better be huh! As a leader, I can't accept the being in the first camp. As a competitor by nature, I can't accept being in the first camp. Not today anyways.

  Up until the last week I have felt that #oklaed has really made some ground, collectively. Not one person, not one organization, not just one school district but as a whole. As a leader I can't let a bad week determine that I'm done. If I have one tough week, as a superintendent, I can't say I'm outta here. You forge ahead. When I was coaching and building a program if I suffered and upset or progress slow I didn't stop the rebuilding process. You regroup, put more time in, and keep moving forward no matter how slow.

 The facts to me are, if it is worth fighting for in the first place, it's worth suffering a setback or two to make huge gains. I'm not going to let a bad week and some setbacks determine that I am done fighting for #oklaed and its 700,000 students. What kind of leader abandons ship when the times get tough? Not one I want to follow. Now I'm no leader of the #oklaed movement, but I sure hope those that are will stay the course. Regroup, reassess, and replot a new plan. Rally the troops and win the war not quit over the loss of a battle!

       

No comments:

Post a Comment